Looking down Walton Street from Silver Street in the early 1920s.
On the left is the familiar Bell Hotel which had recently been modernised to include an extra storey.
The exterior was also updated but as yet had not had its ground floor bay window put in.
Opposite the Bell are a jumble of old buildings that included Lucas’s furniture store which occupied at least three buildings.
The garage for the hotel was also on that side of the street. In the right foreground is another hotel - the Greyhound.
This stood on the corner of Silver Street and Great Western Street.
The Greyhound’s license was transferred to a new building on Southcourt in 1957.
The old building was demolished in 1960. Much of Silver Street has since gone to be replaced by Friars Square shopping centre.