Back in Time: Tring Road – and not a traffic light in sight!

Tring Road, Aylesbury c1900
Tring Road, Aylesbury c1900

A view of Tring Road in about 1900.

This section of road was laid at the same time as the High Street (formerly New Road) was in the 1820s.

Before then the road turned southwest at about where King Edward Avenue is today and came out onto Wendover Road next to the Broad Leys pub (then called the New Inn).

This new stretch of Tring Road remained undeveloped for many years after its construction.

The cemetery on the left was the first piece of ground to be built on.

It opened in 1858.

Next to be built was the printing works of Hazell, Watson & Viney which is seen at the end of the road.

The factory opened on that site in 1878 and continued there until the 1980s.

All the buildings were demolished and for a few years business carried on at their other site across the road, where Tesco is today.