Up until the 1950s St Mary’s Church dominated the skyline of Aylesbury and could easily be seen from miles around.
This is a view from its bell tower in about 1950, looking out over the northwestern part of the town.
Below are cottages in St Mary’s Square with Nelson Terrace behind them.
In the centre of the photograph are buildings at the top of White Hill and the start of Whitehall Street.
Behind them are a block of three terraced cottages in Ardenham Lane.
Bicester Road can then be seen stretching off to the left and out into the countryside.
In the far distance are the hills where Pitchcott and Oving are.
Although a number of the buildings seen here have since vanished it is still worthwhile going up the tower to see the view when an opportunity is available.