Kingsbury in about 1910.
This shows the Rockwood when it was a muchsmaller place.
At that time it only occupied the middle section that has the false timber framing. The sign on the roof is for Roberts & Wilson.
They were brewers from Ivinghoe who made a speciality of light dinner ales and oatmeal-brewed stout.
Alfred Freestone was the landlord, having taken over in 1905. The shop to its left was a sweet and toy shop run by Thomas Higgins. The gable-end was Charles Halsey’s boot and shoe repair shop.
In 1937 plans were announced for alterations to the Rockwood.
Benskins brewery, who had owned the beerhouse for a few years, acquired the properties either side of it and the place was made much larger with better living accomodation above.
The original entrance was bricked up and the steps removed.
In 1952 a full licence was finally granted to the Rockwood after various attempts in previous years. Benskins were supported by a petition of 800 signatures.
Many of those signatures would have come from bus passengers as Kingsbury was very busy when it was used as a bus station.