Roast dinner tops the poll of our favourite ‘nostalgia’ food
The roast dinner has topped the poll as Britain’s most nostalgic meal, a study revealed yesterday.
More than half of the 2,000 people polled said a roast with all the trimmings was most likely to evoke memories of the taste and sounds of a Sunday lunch surrounded by their family as a youngster.
The research, commissioned by cheese brand Cathedral City, found more than half (58%) of those surveyed* said that a Sunday roast with all the trimmings best evokes fond family memories.
Runner up was Shepherd’s Pie (37%), with Toad-in-the-Hole (34%), Beef Stew and Dumplings (29%) and cheese on toast (28%) following closely behind.
Researchers also found that 44 per cent of those surveyed across the nation said a meal was most likely to remind them of their childhood simply because it was their favourite dish growing up. Another 32 per cent said it was because it was their mum’s specialty meal to cook for them, while almost one in ten said they used to help their mum or dad make it.
Almost half of Brits (47 per cent) look forward to going home to their parent’s to enjoy their favourite childhood meal because it takes them back to a happy time in their lives, while 55 per cent said they cook it when they are feeling down to try and cheer themselves up.
A cheeky 35 per cent even admitted that when they get home, they always pester their mum to make their favourite childhood dish for them again. The study also revealed that 55 per cent of people have tried to recreate their favourite childhood meal as an adult, but a third admit they can’t get it to taste as good as it did when they were younger.
And 38 per cent of men have asked their wife or girlfriend to try to recreate a popular dish from their past, and while 40 per cent said it didn’t match their mum’s version, a brave 22 per cent reckon it was nicer. Almost six in ten parents also cook the meal that reminds them the most of their childhood with their own children, with 45 per cent of those saying it has now become their child’s favourite dish too.
Top 20 meals
1. Roast dinner
2. Shepherd’s Pie
3. Rice pudding
4. Egg and chips
5. Bangers and mash
6. Angel Delight
7. Beef Stew and dumplings
9. Cheese on toast
10. Beans on toast
11. Cottage pie
12. Bubble and Squeak
13. Fish fingers and chips
14. Sausage, chips and beans
15. Arctic roll
16. Banana sandwiches
17. Pork chops
18. Steak and kidney pie
19. Macaroni cheese
20. Cheese sandwiches
- Chiltern Hills Rally revs back into action with record-breaking crowds
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Tetsworth
- Women revel in Race for Life at Waddesdon Manor
- Sculptor’s naked fat lady riding a 19ft dinosaur set to turn heads at Chelsea Garden Show
- Two Aylesbury men jailed following death of cyclist in Terrick
- Evergreen but never stuck in a rut: Alan Candy road tests the Suzuki Jimny
- Tasty meal showcases good work of Aylesbury prison following ‘negative’ TV documentary
- Man sleeps rough to draw focus on plight of homeless
- UPDATED: Aylesbury councillor apologises for ‘murderous Tories’ Twitter slur
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Aylesbury
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North